Re: How to force PostgreSQL using an index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: How to force PostgreSQL using an index
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 04:58:54PM -0500, Daniel Caune wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is there a way to force PostgreSQL using an index for a SELECT
> statement?  I just want to confirm that the index PostgreSQL decides to
> use is better than the index I supposed PostgreSQL would use (I already
> analyze the table).

Your best bet is to do

set enable_indexscan=false;

and then do the EXPLAIN ANALYSE for your select.

You might also find that fiddling with other settings affects the
planner's idea of what would be a good plan.  The planner is
sensitive to what it thinks it knows about your environment.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
If they don't do anything, we don't need their acronym.    --Josh Hamilton, on the US FEMA