Re: [HACKERS] Spaces in psql output (Was: FW: PGBuildfarm member snake Branch HEAD Status changed) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Spaces in psql output (Was: FW: PGBuildfarm member snake Branch HEAD Status changed)
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 10:42:59PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
> > Well, the attached patch removes the padding on the last column,
> > irrespective of the line. It will pad all the way to the end if the
> > cell is empty due to one of the earlier columns being multiline.
>
> Applied with some cosmetic changes.  I've confirmed that all the
> regression tests pass with "-w" removed from DIFFFLAGS ... which
> was a good exercise, actually, because it exposed the fact that
> the line-wrapping patch broke ReportSyntaxErrorPosition.  I've put a
> band-aid on that, though it might be worth trying to make it smarter
> about control characters in general.

Thanks for putting so much effort into this. I wish the patch could
have had more feedback before it was applied but that's water under the
bridge.

About the ReportSyntaxErrorPosition thing, it was considered at the
time (can't find the email right now) that control characters would be
problematic but it wouldn't break anything that wasn't broken already.
How tab was missed I don't know, nor a couple of other failures cases
I've thought of since. Thanks for fixing that.

There's still the idea of automatically wrapping wide columns, but
that doesn't appear to have gained any traction yet so I'll leave that
for now.

Thanks again,

Have a nice day,

Attachment