Re: Insert into other database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Insert into other database
Date
List pgsql-general
[Please copy the mailing list on replies.]

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 06:57:11PM -0400, Rodolfo Campos wrote:
> When I tried to connect using libpq I got errors too. But this time the
> error is trying to register the function in postgresql, the RDBMS tells me
> that the function PQconnectdb is undefined.
>
> I don't obtain errors compiling the code. The command that I used was:
>
> gcc -fpic -shared -I/usr/include/postgresql -I/usr/include/postgresql/server
> -lpq test.c -o test.so

What does "ldd ./test.so" show?  You might need to specify additional
flags to give hints about libpq's location to the runtime linker;
another possibility would be to set an environment variable like
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Have a look at contrib/dblink/Makefile and "Extension Building
Infrastructure" in the documentation (8.0 and later).  It's usually
easiest to let PostgreSQL figure out how to build extensions.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/xfunc-c.html#XFUNC-C-PGXS

> Another question, Can I make triggers using Perl, because I read a paper
> where they say that we can't.

PL/Perl triggers are supported in 8.0 and later; see the documentation
for the version you're running.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/plperl-triggers.html

--
Michael Fuhr