Re: Sequences/defaults and pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Sequences/defaults and pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 03:28:31PM +0300, Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
> The real situation would be as the following.
> I want to use some algorithm to hide real number of registered users
> in my table user. So, I don't want to use simple sequence, when every
> new registered user in my system can guess what is the number of
> registered users simply observing his ID. So, I use following
> algorithm:
> (nextval('...name of the sequnence...') * N) mod % M,
> where N and M are quite big numbers that have no common multiples
> besides 1 (sorry, do not remember the English term for those numbers
> ;-) ).

Even then you could do it by saying:

ALTER SEQUENCE x MAXVALUE M INCREMENT N CYCLE;

> I wonder why people didn't notice this bug earlier, but I'm sure that
> there are many situations when it could be revealed. For example, what
> if I want to use nextval('seq1') * nextval('seq2') ?.. I'm sure that
> if you think you'll discover new examples that would be used in real
> world.
>
> Anyway, this is a bug, and I'll write the bug report to bugs mailing list.

Please do. It wouldn't be noticed much due to most people regarding
sequences as opaque ie the numbers themselves don't mean anything. But
if you alter the sequence or the default, pg_dump should dump it
correctly.

(This may be a know bug btw, I don't know).

Attachment