why setFloat() changed to Oid.FLOAT8? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Trevor Baker
Subject why setFloat() changed to Oid.FLOAT8?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1, but I'm
wondering why the change in
AbstractJdbc2Statement.setFloat() (and elsewhere in
the class) of floats now being Oid.FLOAT8 instead of
Ois.FLOAT4?

In 8.0, I have a few functions that take a REAL as
input, and I use setFloat (the 4-byte float equivalent
in java) to pass the values. But in 8.1, using
setFloat() now looks for functions that take DOUBLE
PRECISION because the change in mapping.

I know I can change my functions, tables and java
methods to DOUBLE PRECISION and setDouble() to use
8-byte floats to avoid this issue, but again just
wondering what's up with the 4-byte float support.

thanks,
Trevor Baker