Re: -X flag in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: -X flag in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dennis Bjorklund wrote:
> What use is the -X flag to pg_dump. The code say that if one add a setting
> "feature" to -X then there should also be a flag "--feature". So we have
> for example:
>
>   -X disable-triggers
>
> and
>
>   --disable-triggers
>
> If all the -X flags come in a long form as well, then what use is the -X
> at all? Why would one want to use -X disable-triggers instead of
> --disable-triggers ?

The issue is that some operating systems do not support long options, so
-X option is really -X and an argument, while --option is a long option.

We have our own getopt.c library so I am unsure we really need have
cases that don't support long options anymore.

Pennsylvania19073