Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Adding a --quiet option to initdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> I was playing with 8.2 RPM init script and thought that instead of
> directing the output to /dev/null, it would be better to use a
> command line option for that.

This is merely an opinion.  On what technical grounds would it be
"better"?

(I happen to agree with Greg's post that the init script shouldn't be
silent in the first place.  I'm also of the opinion that initdb
shouldn't be run from the init script, but that's a different topic.)

--
Peter Eisentraut