Searches resulting in 414 Request URI too long - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Searches resulting in 414 Request URI too long
Date
List pgsql-www
A few times in the past day I've gotten 414 (Request URI too long)
errors while searching through the mailing list archives.  I haven't
figured out a 100% repeatable test case yet, but you can eventually
see what's happening by doing the following:

1. Go to http://archives.postgresql.org/

2. Search for something (e.g., "foo").

3. Move between result pages by clicking Next, Previous, or one of
   the page numbers.  Do this several times and eventually the URI
   gets excessively long.  Sometimes it happens right away but
   sometimes it requires numerous clicks.

The A tags for the result pages' links go from something like

and then they get longer, with numerous instances of "ul=...".
Eventually they get too long and the web server responds with
414 Request URI too long.

--
Michael Fuhr