Re: Huge number of disk writes after migration to 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Huge number of disk writes after migration to 8.1
Date
Re: Huge number of disk writes after migration to 8.1
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

> Stats off and it's still bloating the file??
>
> [ studies code... ]  I see the culprit: it's the pgstat_report_vacuum
> and pgstat_report_analyze routines that were added in 8.1.  Those send
> messages unconditionally, meaning that the collector will create table
> entries for every table during a database-wide vacuum, even with stats
> turned off.
>
> This seems like a bad idea.

Sorry, clearly my bug :-(

> Given the nature of what's counted, I think that treating these
> messages as "row level" stats would be appropriate.  Alvaro, what do
> you think?

Yeah, row level seems appropiate for what we use it.  I'll take care of
it, unless you want to do it.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
<inflex> really, I see PHP as like a strange amalgamation of C, Perl, Shell