Re: What does "merge-joinable join conditions" mean ???? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: What does "merge-joinable join conditions" mean ????
Date
Re: What does "merge-joinable join conditions" mean ????  ("Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql4@ultimeth.com>)
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 12:25:10PM -0800, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:
> I have a FULL JOIN between two simple tables, and am getting the message
> " Query failed: ERROR:  FULL JOIN is only supported with merge-joinable
> join conditions"
>
> I'd be glad to fix this in my query if I knew what the #@!! it meant.

What's the query?

> Using 8.0.4 on FC1;  willing to upgrade (PostgreSQL, not FC1) IF it
> would fix the problem.

The 8.0.5 Release Notes have the following item, but without seeing
your query it's hard to know whether this fix is relevant to your
problem (the fix mentions RIGHT JOIN; your error says FULL JOIN):

* Fix longstanding planning error for outer joins
 This bug sometimes caused a bogus error "RIGHT JOIN is only supported with merge-joinable join conditions".

Consider upgrading in any case.  8.0.6 is the latest in the 8.0
branch; see the Release Notes for a summary of fixes since 8.0.4:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/release.html#RELEASE-8-0-6
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/release-8-0-5.html

--
Michael Fuhr