Re: INSERT causes psql to crash - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From jao@geophile.com
Subject Re: INSERT causes psql to crash
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Quoting Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:

> jao@geophile.com writes:
>>    mydb=> insert into test values(11);
>>    *** buffer overflow detected ***: psql terminated
>
> You seem to have a rather badly broken build there :-(.  What's the
> platform exactly, and what compiler did you use?  Can you rebuild
> with debug support enabled so you can get a stack trace that's
> actually useful?
>
> If it just started happening, I'd speculate about a corrupt executable
> file for psql or libpq.  I doubt it's got anything to do with the server
> side.

But this doesn't explain the data I posted previously:

  psql host   postgres host   result
  --------------------------------------
  X           X               crash
  X           Y               OK
  Y           X               crash
  Y           Y               OK

Nodes X and Y are in a cluster and have the same software installed
(OS, Postgres, application).

- If the problem is with our build of psql or postgres, then I'd
expect crashes in all four cases.

- If we have a good build but a corrupt psql executable, then I'd
expect the crash to correlate with the psql host.

- If we have a corrupt postgres executable or a corrupt database then
I'd expect the crash to correlate with the postgres host, which is
what I observed. The disk checking we've done (fsck, badblocks)
indicates that the database is OK. I'm in the process of checking the
disks on X and Y with the database executables.

Jack