Re: What happens to transactions durring a pg_dump? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: What happens to transactions durring a pg_dump?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:22:27PM -0500, Chris Hoover wrote:
> I'm trying to understand better what happens to a transaction that is
> commited in the middle of a pg_dump.  Is the transaction included in the
> database dump, or is it excluded.

If you look at the pg_dump source code or turn on query logging,
you should see that pg_dump starts with

BEGIN
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE

See "Transaction Isolation" in the "Concurrency Control" chapter of the
documentation for an explanation of what that means.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/transaction-iso.html

--
Michael Fuhr