BUG #2149: can not enter µM into a varchar field in version 8.1.1 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Abigail Corrigan
Subject BUG #2149: can not enter µM into a varchar field in version 8.1.1
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2149
Logged by:          Abigail Corrigan
Email address:      abigail.corrigan@pnl.gov
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.1
Operating system:   linux
Details:

I get an error when trying to insert µM into a varchar field in version
8.1.1 but it was working in version 7.4.  The error leads me to think that
there is a different encoding on the dose_units field in the new database.
How do we encode the special character "µ" into a varchar field for version
8.1.1?

The error message is as follows:
Invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte 0xb5

Thanks!