Re: Best way to manage users - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kevin Crenshaw
Subject Re: Best way to manage users
Date
List pgsql-novice
I think that I would have to disagree with the statement that 'Postgres will
not do your user authentication for you'.  If you have a pg user account for
each of your web app users and they submit a username and password using
your login form in the web app and the web app uses that information to
access the database - isn't that 'authenticating' the user?  So, I guess
what I would like to know is - is it better to have the web app users be pg
users too or is it a better idea to separate the two?

The way that I was thinking of doing this is to have one pg user account
that the web app uses to access the database, then set up a 'users' table to
hold all of the web app user account info.

What are your thoughts?

Kevin