Re: preventing deadlocks - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: preventing deadlocks
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 11:36:11AM +0200, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
> Thanks for answer.However i have already searched for a way to make count
> faster and didn't find anything.
> Any pointers will be appreciated.

What you want to do in the trigger is insert a new row into a table that
contains the change in count, instead of trying to update a single row
for each value/ident (btw, you'll probably get better performance if you
make ident an int instead of a numeric). So now you'll have a list of
changes to the value, which you will periodically want to roll up into a
table that just stores the count.