Re: WITH SYSID feature dropped - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: WITH SYSID feature dropped
Date
List pgsql-admin
Donald Fraser wrote:

> We developed and have been using since 7.1, and currently running 7.4,
> bespoke client / database software. The ability to manage users and security
> was of high priority and we therefore developed a much more elaborate user
> definition where by the information about users was held in our own tables
> and we could create a postgresql database user from this table at any time.
> To simplify things we controlled the SYSID and used this as the key for
> mapping a postgresql user to a user defined in our table.

Why not do it the other way around?  Create the Postgres user first,
grab its Oid, then use that as primary key in your user table.

On the other hand, it's possible that the new role management in 8.1,
which has brought much more elaborate privilege handling, could have
rendered your user handling unnecessary.  Have you considered exploring
that?