Re: Select list of table names for particular DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Select list of table names for particular DB
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:18:04PM -0500, webbj2@Scranton.edu wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to get (select) a list of all the names of
> the tables in a database when given the name of the database. ie.,
> Select table_name from ??? where datbase name = "XYZ";

Except for a few shared tables each database has its own catalogs,
so to get a list of a database's tables you have to connect to that
database.

> I can easily select names of tables in current db like this:
> SELECT datname FROM pg_database;

That doesn't list tables, it lists databases.

> But, if I want to retrieve all table names for a different db, I can
> not figure it out.

Connect to the other database and query its catalogs.  You could
abstract this with dblink and a view.

> I looked at doc for pg_class and can find a relation name but no ID#.
> I thought maybe I could find a database ID related to table IDs, but
> can not determine what a databases classID might be or what a tables
> ID might be.

A relation's oid is in the pg_class.oid system column (not shown
in the documentation for pg_class but described in "System Columns"
in the "Data Definition" chapter).  Databases aren't shown in
pg_class.

--
Michael Fuhr