Re: convert integer to bool implicitly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: convert integer to bool implicitly
Date
List pgsql-general
Sim Zacks <sim@compulab.co.il> schrieb:

> How easy would it be to write a small type extension to have integer
> automatically convert to bool?
> For example, I want an implicit conversion that 0 is false and everything
> else is true.

test=# \d foo;
      Table "public.foo"
 Column |  Type   | Modifiers
--------+---------+-----------
 val    | integer |

test=# select * from foo;
 val
-----
   0
   1
   2
   3
(4 rows)

test=# select val::bool from foo;
 val
-----
(4 rows)

> Is this C programming or can you do it with a local procedural language?

You can use regular casts.

HTH, Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)