Re: is this a bug or I am blind? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:49:48AM +0800, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> I would prefer for everything to be compared without any
> collation/corruption by default, and for there to be a function to pick the
> desired comparison behaviour ( Can all that functionality be done with the
> collate clause?).

> In a column for license keys, "tty" should rarely be the same as "tyty".
> In a column for base64 data (crypto hashes, etc) "tty" should NEVER be the
> same as "tyty".
>
> In a column for domain names, I doubt it is clear whether you want to match
> tty.ibm.hu just because tyty.ibm.hu exists.
>
> But in a column for license owner names, one might want "tty" and "tyty" to
> be the same - one might have to have a multicolumn index depending on the
> owner's locale of choice.
>
> I recommend that for these reasons initdb should always pick "no mangled"
> text by default, no matter what the locale setting is.
Tom,

as a speaker of German I absolutely agree on the above. The
database shouldn't be second guessing on the user
intentions. If the user thinks she wants mangling of *all*
text in the database by default she is wrong in most cases.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346