Re: Which qsort is used - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Which qsort is used
Date
Re: Which qsort is used  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 12:10:37AM -0500, Qingqing Zhou wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Luke Lonergan wrote:
> >
> > Overall - I'd say that the BSD routine is showing the best overall results
> > when the scale test is included.  The qsortG routine has some significantly
> > better performance in certain cases at smaller sort set sizes - it could
> > probably be improved for better L2 use, but BSD is already there.
> >
> > Based on this it seems like we should expose the option to choose the BSD
> > qsort routine at configure time.
> >

> Before we pin down this, I hope more extensive tests on various platforms
> could be done. So we could give some suggestions when we should enable the
> "--enable-bsdqsort" option. I can post a result on a SunOS machine (but
> the problem is that many ppl share this machine) and a windows machine.

I have access to both some (SLOW) ultra5's and a machine running
opensolaris on AMD if testing there would help. I'll need a pointer to a
patch and test-case though...

Oh, I also have access to an old SGI...