Re: [postgis-users] Is my query planner failing me,or vice versa? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject Re: [postgis-users] Is my query planner failing me,or vice versa?
Date
List pgsql-performance

As I understood from the original discussions with Markus/Tom, the problem
was that the optimizer didn't consider the value of the VacAttrStats
stawidth value when calculating the cost of a sequential scan. I don't know
if this is still the case though - Tom will probably have a rough idea
already whereas I would need to spend some time sifting through the source.

However, I do know that the PostGIS statistics collector does store the
average detoasted geometry size in stawidth during ANALYZE so the value is
there if it can be used.

Kind regards,

Mark.

------------------------
WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way
Plymouth
PL6 8BT

T: +44 (0)1752 797131
F: +44 (0)1752 791023

http://www.webbased.co.uk
http://www.infomapper.com
http://www.swtc.co.uk

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or
use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other
person.