Re: Memory Leakage Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Memory Leakage Problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 04:37:42PM -0000, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:
> I'll run this over the next few days and especially as the server starts
> bogging down to see if it identifies the culprit.
>
> Is it possible to grab memory outsize of a processes space? Or would a
> leak always show up by an ever increasing VSZ amount?

The only way to know what a process can access is by looking in
/proc/<pid>/maps. This lists all the memory ranges a process can
access. The thing about postgres is that each backend dies when the
connection closes, so only a handful of processes are going to be
around long enough to cause a problem.

The ones you need to look at are the number of mappings with a
zero-inode excluding the shared memory segment. A diff between two days
might tell you which segments are growing. Must be for exactly the same
process to be meaningful.

Have a nice day,

Attachment