after vacuum, db is still "growing" :( - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gabor
Subject after vacuum, db is still "growing" :(
Date
List pgsql-general
hi,

i'm using postgresql 7.4.8.

we have a database that only contains one table that contains session
data,

so it changes very often.

until now, we were vacuuming the database weekly.

it's current size is 15GB.

i know that when i once did a full-vacuum on this database, it's size
shrunk to 100MB.

so something is wrong there.
yesterday i did a vacuum, but in  5 hours, the database-size started to
grow again.

i don't understand this.

(well, there's always a possibility that we are "leaking" some db-rows
(means we are not deleting them from the db), but let's  ignore that
possibility for now)

i know that a vacuum does not reclaim disk space...
after the vacuum the "real" db-size should become 100MB, and there
should be around 14.9GB "free" db-space. why isn't postgresql using that
space?

are there any cases, where a normal vacuum is unable to reclaim some
space, but a full-vacuum is able?

or any other ideas?

thanks,
gabor

--
That's life for you, said McDunn.  Someone always waiting for someone
who never comes home.  Always someone loving something more than that