Re: [INTERFACES] BLOB handling compatibility with PostgreSQL > 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Ludek Finstrle
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] BLOB handling compatibility with PostgreSQL > 7.4
Date
List pgsql-odbc
> > I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
>
> Why do you feel a need to distinguish the domain from its underlying
> type on the client side?  They're the same as regards representation
> and so on.

I need to determine wheter to use lo_import for large objects.
There is implementation in ODBC used type named "lo" (comapring type
oid).  Type oid doesn't represent only large objects.

> what representation to use etc.  Distinguishing domains made their job
> harder not easier.

I agree with you except lo implementation in ODBC ;-)

> If you want an add-on datatype that is really different from OID, then
> make a real datatype (CREATE TYPE).  You can still piggyback on OID as
> the representation type --- steal its I/O functions and so on.

Does it cover lo_export which need oid as second parameter?
I'm sorry I'm new in using large objects and creating new types.

Thanks a lot

Luf