Re: int to inet conversion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: int to inet conversion
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 02:09:53PM +0300, Anton Nikiforov wrote:
> Sorry for my stupidity but, maybe there is a function that converts mask
> stored in int format to a numer of bits? ;)
> Your function easyly convert this mask to dot decimal notation, but how
> to count the number of 1 in it?

No, but you can write one the same way like so:

Let i be your input.
Calculate t = -i.
If i is in the right format, t will have exactly one bit set.
Test this with t <> 0 and (t & i) == t
If that's ok, then your answer is 32 - log2(t)

Have a nice day,

Attachment