Re: Regular Expression Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Pundt
Subject Re: Regular Expression Question
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Am Saturday 03 December 2005 12:48 schrieb Terry Lee Tucker:
|  I have a situation where I need to extract a couple pieces of
| information from a string. The string, if entered perfectly by the user,
| would look someting like this:  DUN: 006235835 SID: KT-3616*
|
|  I need to extract the 006235835 into one variable and the KT-3616 into
|  another. Both "numbers" can possibly be something other than numbers
| alone as in the SID: part of the string above. I have come up with a way
| of extracting both pieces of information where, at least in my mind, the
| key parameters are the colon (:) and a space, as in the first case, or
| asterik (*), as in the second case, marking the end of the string to
| extract.

given that the strings SID: and DUN: won't change, you could use the
following two RE's:

'SID: (.*?)\\*' for extracting the SID part, and 'DUN: (.*?) ' for
extracting the DUN part.

Ciao,
Thomas

Thomas Pundt <thomas@pundt.de> -- http://www.pundt.de