Re: Case Conversion Fix for MB Chars - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Case Conversion Fix for MB Chars
Date
List pgsql-patches
Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> On 12/1/05, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > Where are we on this patch? Is it to be applied?
>
> After Tom's advice (he was doubtful about the patch), while I was
> thinking about how to improve the spectrum of tests, decided to use
> src/test/mb. In the tests, patch just succeded for unicode and failed
> on big5, euc_cn, euc_jp, euc_kr, euc_tw, mule_internal, sjis
> encodings. Fails' reason can be my wrong configuration too. (I've made
> tests on a both unicode and latin-5 encoded databases.)

Do those encodings even have uppercase letters?

> AFAIC, euc* encodings break latin-n and fixed latin-n encodings break
> euc*. Seems like a deadlock. Furthermore, I'm not aware of the status
> of ICU (will it be applied with 8.2?), thus we can go a way through
> like distributing latin-n fixed PostgreSQL sources/binaries on
> postgresql.org.tr.

People have talked about ICU but I don't know if anyone is working on it
now.

I think the big problem is that while your patch works for some cases,
it fails for others, and there is no good way to know/test which will
work and which will not.  Is that accurate?