Re: Numeric 508 datatype - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Numeric 508 datatype
Date
List pgsql-patches
Simon Riggs wrote:

> Now we're into 8.2devel mode, its time to submit the previously
> discussed patch that:
>
> - reduces Numeric storage format by 2 bytes
> - limits scale to +/- 508 decimal places
>
> This is sufficient to allow Numeric to continue to be used as the
> default numeric representation for all numbers in the parser.
>
> Passes: make check on cvstip, as well as some tests not in there.
>
> Code comments explain the new format and consequences.
>
> As previously agreed, reviewing this is a 2 stage process:
> 1. review/possibly agree OK to commit
> 2. check with everybody on GENERAL that the restriction to 508 is
> acceptable
>
> Figure there's no point doing (2) until we agree the proposal/code is
> workable.

OK, seems all objections have been dealt with so it goes into the patch
queue.  I will ask on 'general'.

The only downside I see is that I can't impress people by doing:

    SELECT factorial(4000);

I don't suppose the _impression_ factor is worth two bytes per value.
Shame.

I suppose people wanting to do such manipulations will have to store the
numbers as text and use a server-side library like perl to do
calculations.