Re: Combinatorial problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Srinivas Iyyer
Subject Re: Combinatorial problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
Dear Sean,
Thank you for your help.

I have another question and sorry to bother you. If I
do not know the pairing before hand for drugs (such as
m1,m3 and m5) how can I define any random combination.
should it have to be solved using PL/PgSQL or just
through SQL queries?

thanks

>  select target_name
>  from drug, target, comb
>  where drug.drug_id=comb.drug_id and
>  comb.target_id=target.target_id and
>  drug_name in ('m1','m3','m5');
>

> Three points:  In postgresql, capital letters in
> column names and table
> names are folded to lower case if you don't use ""
> around them ALL THE TIME.
> Therefore, I tend to not use any capitals.  Second,
> there are a number of
> good SQL tutorials online that will be quite helpful
> for learning how to
> squeeze information from your database.  Lastly, if
> you are an R user, be
> sure to check out RdbiPgSQL, available via the
> BioConductor site, for
> interfacing R with Postgres.
>
> Sean

Yahoo! Music Unlimited