Re: Finding uniques across a big join - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Finding uniques across a big join
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:58:49PM -0500, John D. Burger wrote:
> I could use some help with the following:
>
> I have a database of geographic entities with attributes spread across
> several tables.  I need to determine which entities are unique with
> respect to some of those attributes.  I'm using the following query:

<snip>

If you put the gazPlaceID as a result of the uniqs subquery, that would
avoid the second lookup, right? Whether it's much faster is the
question. So something like:

select p1.gazPlaceID
     from gazPlaces as p1
       join gazNamings as n1 using (gazPlaceID)
       join gazContainers as c1 using (gazPlaceID)
     group by p1.gazPlaceID, p1.featureType, n1.placeNameID, c1.containerID
     having count(*) = 1

Secondly, what does the plan look like? Is it materialising or sorting
at any stage?

Finally, what version of postgres?

Have a nice day,

Attachment