Re: BUG #2073: Can't drop sequence when created via SERIAL column - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #2073: Can't drop sequence when created via SERIAL column
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Aaron Dummer wrote:

> Bug reference:      2073
> Logged by:          Aaron Dummer
> Email address:      aaron@dummer.info
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.3
> Operating system:   Debian Linux
> Details:
>
> If I create a table named foo with a column named bar, column type SERIAL,
> it auto-generates a sequence named foo_bar_seq.  Now if I manually create a
> new sequence called custom_seq, and change the default value of foo.bar to
> reference the new sequence, I still can't delete the old sequence
> (foo_bar_seq).
>
> In other words, from a user's point of view, the foo table is no longer
> dependent on the foo_bar_seq, yet the system still sees it as dependent.
>
> I brought this topic up on the #postgresql IRC channel and the behavior was
> confirmed by AndrewSN, scampbell_, and mastermind.

Right.  We have this TODO item:

    * %Disallow changing default expression of a SERIAL column?

which would prevent you from changing the default expression for a
SERIAL column.  So the answer is, don't do that, and in the future, we
might prevent it.