Re: Best way to represent values. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Best way to represent values.
Date
List pgsql-general
The problem is that each well can have a different number of and types  of
layers. Trying to pre-plan all the combinations could be a big headache. My
first thought is the following layout-
well_number   layer_number   bottom_depth   layer_type
1            1              10                     topsoil
1            2               25                    gravel
and so on. The bottom_depth of one layer is the top_depth of the one below.
The final bottom_depth is the depth of the well.
The layer_types can be pulled from another table to maintain consistency and
allow for new types as needed. Come report time you order by
well_no,layer_number to get the desired information.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net