Re: Implementing rounding rule in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Implementing rounding rule in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 02:01:02AM -0500, jeff sacksteder wrote:
> Due to application requirements, I need to implement a rounding function
> that is independant of the baked-in rounding functionality. I'd prefer to do
> it in plpgsql for maximum portability.
> To do this, I'll need to sequentially walk through the digits of an
> arbritarily long floating-point number. I can't think of a good way to do
> this.

This wouldn't be a homework assignment, would it?  Anyway, maybe
this will give you some ideas:

CREATE FUNCTION myround(num double precision) RETURNS double precision AS $$
DECLARE
    textval  text := num;
    i        integer;
BEGIN
    FOR i IN 1 .. length(textval) LOOP
        RAISE INFO '[%] = %', i, substr(textval, i, 1);
    END LOOP;

    RETURN num;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql IMMUTABLE STRICT;