BUG #2056: to_char no long takes time as input? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Nick Addington
Subject BUG #2056: to_char no long takes time as input?
Date
Re: BUG #2056: to_char no long takes time as input?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2056
Logged by:          Nick Addington
Email address:      adding@math.wisc.edu
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.0
Operating system:   aix
Details:

The following code works in 8.0.4 but fails in 8.1.0:

select to_char('1:00 pm'::time,'HH:MM AM');

8.1.0 gives this is the error message:
ERROR:  invalid format specification for an interval value
HINT:  Intervals are not tied to specific calendar dates.

I saw some discussion on the -hackers list about deprecating
to_char(interval, text), but do you really want to chuck to_char(time,
text)?  That's a useful function.  Or at least, I was using it...

Please advise,
Nick Addington