Re: 3 x PostgreSQL in cluster/redunant - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Trent Shipley
Subject Re: 3 x PostgreSQL in cluster/redunant
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 2005-11-15 13:06, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:

> >> Keep in mind that databases and RAID5 generally don't mix very well.
> >
> > Can you explain me why?
>
> RAID 5 is very expensive for writes.
>
> > Unfortunatly the Controllers in the three SUN-Servers do not support
> > 300 GByte SCSI-Drives, so I have to continue with the Raid-5 of 16x
> > 76 GByte.
>
> Could you do RAID 10?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I've seen books on tuning recommend RAID-5 into the low terrabyte range for
read-dominated databases (notably small data warehouse applications).

For very large multi-terrabye applications the suggestion is that RAID-50
along with streaming to and from stochastically accessed distributed storage
can partially hide the expense of writing to storage while bringing the money
cost of storage down considerably.