Re: Running PostGre on DVD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Running PostGre on DVD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:19:23AM +0100, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 12:29 am, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > Why do you need to run PostgreSQL as admin? There shouldn't be any need
> > for this.
>
> Actually I've run into a scenario where this was needed. I'm not a Windows
> expert, so there might be some way to get around this:
>
> I have a localadmin account on the workstation(which is a member of a domain).
> As this localadmin(with full local administrative privileges) I created a
> local user "postgres" to run PostgreSQL as. The problem was that the policy
> for the domain the machine was a member of(which obviously overrides local
> settings) prevented this new local user to have "local login" privileges.

Typical windows, can't give up admin priveliges even if you want to.

All jokes aside, doesn't "runas" allow you to start a program as
another user? Although the web seems to imply you have to be running a
special service to have multiple accounts running simultaneously. Talk
about bolt-on security.

<snip>

> There really should be an option for
> "Yes, I really want to run PG as a user with Administrator-privileges on
> Windows. I promiss not to bug -hacker about any potential security-problems I
> might experience".

This is free software. Nothing is stopping you from downloading the
source, disabling the check and posting it as:

Safety Free PostgreSQL - The PostgreSQL that runs everywhere and lets
you do anything, including trash your machine on demand.

There's just no reason for it to be an official PostgreSQL Development
Group product.

Have a nice day,