BUG #2040: buggy cast of INT8 to text - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Sebastien MAYER
Subject BUG #2040: buggy cast of INT8 to text
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2040
Logged by:          Sebastien MAYER
Email address:      sebastien.mayer@briosoft.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.04
Operating system:   Linux Fedora core 4
Details:

in plpgsql :
declare
     var_text   text;
     var_int8   INT8;
begin
   var_int8 := 123456;
-- next line give some strange result... but not always
   var_text := 'the value of var_int8 is ' || var_int8;

end;
I wrote a small b_bigint_to_text(int8) returns text
and will use it until i see some fix on this.
More generally, the oid, wich is int4 does not fit the currval, nextvall etc
wich returns int8. Since you moved the serial concept from 32 bits to 64
bits (which look good to me), you still have old 32 bits style functions and
variable (oid !) mixed with the new 64 bits concept.
But, i thanks you everyday of my programmer life anyway !!!!!
seb