Re: Does EXPLAIN ANALYZE show a wrong plan for MIN/MAX? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Does EXPLAIN ANALYZE show a wrong plan for MIN/MAX?
Date
Re: Does EXPLAIN ANALYZE show a wrong plan for MIN/MAX?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:05:45AM +0100, Matteo Beccati wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that sometimes EXPLAIN ANALYZE is much slower than the
> plain query. After investigating I found that it happens when using MIN
> or MAX aggregates.
>
> It seems that the plan outputted is not the optimized one (available
> since 8.1) that is really used when running the plain query.

It may also be that the overhead of calling gettimeofday() several
times per tuple is blowing the time out. What platform is this?

Hope this helps,