Re: Where - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Uwe C. Schroeder
Subject Re: Where
Date
List pgsql-general

This will work if you can guarantee that it's only one record

INSERT INTO pipe (fluid_id,contain) SELECT (fluid_id,contain) FROM process
WHERE contain='ip'

otherwise (more than one record) you have to loop over the resultset,
something like (off the top of my head)

create or replace function base() returns trigger as $$
DECLARE
  myrow RECORD;
BEGIN
    insert into pipe (fluid_id) values (new.fluid_id);
    for myrow in select * from process where contain = 'ip' loop
         insert into pipe(fluid_id,contain) values (row.fluid_id,row.contain);
         if not found then
            raise exception 'error creating record';
        end if;
    end loop;
    return NULL;
END;