Re: Best way to use indexes for partial match at beginning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Best way to use indexes for partial match at beginning
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, for starters, see if PostgreSQL is currently using any indexes via
EXPLAIN. First rule of performance tuning: don't.

If it's not (which is probably the case), then your best bet is to
create functional indexes; ie:

CREATE INDEX mytable__col1_4 ON mytable( substring( col1 for 4 ) );

You can then either

SELECT ... WHERE substring( col1 for 4 ) = blah

or

SELECT ... WHERE substring( col1 for 4 ) LIKE 'bla%'

Though that last one might not use the index; you'll have to check and
see.

Also, keep in mind that PostgreSQL doesn't store CHAR the same as most
other databases; the internal storage is the same as what's used for
VARCHAR and TEXT.