Re: add_missing_from breaks existing views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: add_missing_from breaks existing views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 11:41:56AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Should we allow CREATE VIEW to run with "add_missing_from = true"
> > until we fix CREATE VIEW to handle this cleanly?
>
> No.  Not only is that horridly ugly, it doesn't fix the problem,
> because CREATE VIEW is just one case (see also CREATE RULE).  If we
> were to defeat add_missing_from for both, there wouldn't be much
> left of it at all.  Going back to default-true would be far cleaner.

A VIEW that depends on add-missing-from is a clear case of pilot
error.  We can document this, warn people, and turn it off by default.
Is there some fairly simple way to find VIEWs that have this property
so they can be fixed?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!