Re: A few questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: A few questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:57:03AM +0200, Sebastián Ávila wrote:
> I'm new here, and I would like to know a few things about how developers works.
> Could be posible that two developers works on the same item, but in isolation?
> What happens with the different patchs they produced?
> I would like to do my PFC in semantic optimization, what is now
> implemented about this in potgresql?

There is no formal process control. Though usually most people
developing for PostgreSQL are subscribed to this list so if you mention
here what you're doing here you can avoid duplicate work.

If two people end up with a patch for the same thing, well, may be best
patch win. Actually though, they usually get compared and merged to
produce the best possible result. We're generally more concerned about
clean maintainable code than who did what when.

Semantic optimisation huh? I don't think anybody is working on that in
the general sense, though specific fixes are applied now and then.

Have a nice day,