Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date
Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas  (Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 12:40:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
> > Actually, perhaps an even more restricted version would be better.
> > Lowercase quoted identifiers only if they are all uppercase. So then:
>
> No, I think the original proposal was better.  This one doesn't fix
> things for the lusers who think "MixedCase" and unquoted MixedCase
> should be the same.

Okay, how do we refer to the "RI_FKey_cascade_del" function then? Or
trigger "RI_ConstraintTrigger_2204908". Using $$ quoting? Invent
another quoting style?

> > Note to implementor: In 'SELECT 1 as "Title"', the quoted string should
> > not be lowercased, even if you are lowercasing everything else...
>
> You don't get to have that, I think, because the lexer is not context
> aware.  It's not clear to me why it's a good idea anyway.

Depends at what level you do the conversion. But lowercasing here means
that people producing HTML tables using psql and providing multi word
titles are going to be mightily disappointed if their titles are
lowercased on them.

Then again, if it's an optional switch, maybe it doesn't matter...
Lowercasing only full uppercased identifiers is more something you
might have turned on all the time.

Have a nice day,

Attachment