Re: UPDATE Trigger on multiple tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Muralidharan Ramakrishnan
Subject Re: UPDATE Trigger on multiple tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi

  CREATE TRIGGER associates trigger function on a table and it is not possible to give more than one table seperated by comas.

  CREATE TRIGGER emp_cust_stamp BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON  customers
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE last_updated_stamp();
CREATE TRIGGER emp_cust_stamp BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON employees
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE last_updated_stamp();

Regards,
R.Muralidharan

Ferindo Middleton Jr <fmiddleton@verizon.net> wrote:
Is it possible to have a single trigger on multiple tables
simultaneously? Example:

CREATE TRIGGER emp_cust_stamp BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON employees, customers
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE last_updated_stamp();

I tried something like the above but get an error message at the comma. I tried using the keyword AND as well.
I couldn't find anything on this in the docs. I have many different tables in my databases which all have a
"last_updated" field and it seems less tedious to be able to enforce updating this trigger database-wide using
just one trigger. Is it possible?

Ferindo

http://archives.postgresql.org