Re: regular expression - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: regular expression
Date
List pgsql-sql
[Please copy the mailing list on replies.]

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 04:28:47PM -0400, gurkan@resolution.com wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. It helped a lot. I was goint to ask similar question
> regarding regular expression, but this time I need not the numeric part. What I
> mean is;
> say that this may be in these format
>  "TSWUU"          ---need--- "TSWUU"
>  "4 - DSC"        ---need--- "DSC"
>  "6768 - THY"     ---need--- "THY"
> basically string may or may not start with number,
> I need substring of character if it starts with number discard it

This isn't a PostgreSQL issue, but rather one of understanding how
regular expressions work in general.  See the previously mentioned
"Pattern Matching" section of the PostgreSQL documentation for the
PostgreSQL-specific details, and use a search engine to find a
regular expression tutorial; they're frequently used in Perl and
other languages so a lot of learning material exists.  If you can
find a copy in a library or bookstore, the book _Mastering Regular
Expressions_ by Jeffrey E. F. Friedl, published by O'Reilly, is a
good resource.

--
Michael Fuhr