Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London
Date
Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London
List pgsql-advocacy
Folks,

> > And of course they are right.  Porting from MySQL to PostgreSQL is a
> > problem, one which could only be solved by dumbing down PostgreSQL to
> > accept many of MySQL's idiosyncracies, which isn't going to happen.
>
> It does make me think that we should try to adopt some more of MySQL's
> idiosyntactics even if we don't fully adopt their idiosyncracies.

I really don't agree that the chief problem with porting from MySQL is our
failure to implement ISNULL() or ENUM.  I don't even think that's in the
top 10.

The biggest issues are:
1, 2, 3, and 4) Lack of information, e.g. no "PostgreSQL for MySQL users"
handbook.
5) Flakyness of data migration tools, which are largely unmaintained these
days;
6) Lack of data abstraction in many OSS apps (this we can't fix).

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions