Re: convert time - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: convert time
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 07:20:53PM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
> Is there a way for postgres to output  using the 12 hour standard
> instead of army time? The column is of type time

By "army time" I assume you mean 24-hour time, which is widely used
in non-military settings, especially outside the United States.  In
many countries, 24-hour time is just as "standard" as 12-hour time,
and is understood by the population at large because it's the usual
format for TV and radio schedules, train and bus timetables, etc.
 It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. --Opening sentence of _1984_ by George
Orwell

You can use to_char() to format time types, although it apparently
works via an implicit cast to interval, as Bruce Momjian explains
in the following message:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-02/msg00245.php

See "Data Type Formatting Functions" in the documentation to learn
how to use to_char():

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/functions-formatting.html

Example:

CREATE TABLE foo (t time);

INSERT INTO foo (t) VALUES ('08:00:00');
INSERT INTO foo (t) VALUES ('20:00:00');

SELECT t, to_char(t, 'HH12:MI:SSam') FROM foo;   t     |  to_char
----------+------------08:00:00 | 08:00:00am20:00:00 | 08:00:00pm
(2 rows)

--
Michael Fuhr