Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 12:29:51PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> * Problems that will be fixed in the next version of PostgreSQL.
>   This means that problems get on developers' radar and get fixed.  I
>   suppose by some extremely un-generous method of assessment, this
>   could be a gotcha.
>
> * Incomplete information, e.g. not mentioning Slony-I as an upgrade
>   path.

From the few times I've emailed the author he seems happy to accept
better text. I'm sure he'd be happy to mention slony as an upgrade
option (though it would be best if there was a good doc describing this
we could point to). Likewise I believe he'd note things that will be
fixed in a given version (such as 8.1 or 8.2).

> * One deviation from the standard that won't be changed: fold-to-lower.

Does the standard even specify which case you fold to?

I agree, this is only a gotcha if you're used to the very non-standard
behavior in MySQL.

> * Nits so minor as not to be worth addressing (non-optional AS in FROM
>   clauses vs. SQL standard's making that AS optional there)

*shrug* I think it's useful to be able to see why something you might
expect to work doesn't.