Re: Why doesn't the SERIAL data type automatically have a - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Why doesn't the SERIAL data type automatically have a
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 07:50:28PM -0400, Ferindo Middleton Jr wrote:
> Based on the feedback I received after I made that original post, it
> seemed most people don't use SERIAL with a unique constraint or primary
> key and  I was blasted for making such  a suggestion. I'm sorry... It

I don't think either assertion is true. I'd bet most of the developers
actually do normally use an index on a serial, since it's normally used
as a PK. And while people can be a bit terse with their replies, I
wouldn't say you were blasted. :)