Re: Help with multistage query - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Help with multistage query
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 05:37:47PM -0400, Matt Emmerton wrote:

> [...]
believethere must be a more elegant way to do this.

>     The simplified queries look like this:
>

>     SELECT id FROM t1 WHERE condition1;   ;returns about 2k records which are stored in @idarray
>

>     foreach $id (@idarray) {
>
>        SELECT x FROM t2 WHERE id=$id;   ; each select returns about 100 records which are saved in a perl variable
>
>     }
>
>   how about
>   select t1.id from t1, t2 where t1.id = t2.id and t2.id = x
>
> or more correctly, based on the OP's example:
>
> select t2.x from t1, t2 where t1.id = t2.id and t1.id = <condition>

Actually, I think you want AND t2.x <condition>, not t1.id.

BTW, I recommend not using id as a bareword field name. Very easy to get
confused when you start joining a bunch of stuff together.